Wells Operator I
CITY OF NICHOLS HILLS
Department: Public Works
Reports to: Deputy PW Director
Location: Public Works
This is a non-exempt, entry-level, labor, and semi-technical position located in the Public Works Department within the Water well division.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Operate motor vehicles.
- Operates and maintains SCADA system, Variable Speed Drives, boosters, and water well pumps at various locations within the OKC metro area in maintaining adequate water supply to the City water system.
- Keep daily records and various reports.
- Responds to trouble calls if required.
- Perform general maintenance on city vehicles.
- Perform preventative maintenance on well pumps and valves.
- Clean, paint, and perform basic maintenance on water wells houses, booster houses & water towers as needed.
- Perform grounds maintenance on well sites (such as but not limited to mowing, weed eating, tree and bush trimming).
- Assist in performing maintenance in the Water/Sewer departments as needed as well as other departments on an as-needed basis.
- Perform pool fills for contractors and residents as requested.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a safe manner.
- Ability to learn well site locations.
- Ability to observe and detect equipment problems and report same to supervisory personnel.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with co-workers, supervisors, and the public.
- Make mathematical calculations.
- Write in a legible manner in preparation of log entries and reports.
- Capable of operating motor vehicles, hand tools, and various power tools used in maintenance of machinery and grounds.
- Ability to work long and unusual hours, including overtime and weekends when required.
- Work in inclement weather for long periods of time.
- Must be able to understand and comply with oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to obtain an Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality class “D” water & wastewater license within one year of employment and a class “C” water lab license within 3 years of employment.
- Possess and maintain an Oklahoma Drivers License and a driver’s record that is acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- HS graduate or GED equivalent
- Some computer skills
Vocational-Technical course(s) in mechanical equipment maintenance or related discipline.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED
The incumbent receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor and may supervise a lesser qualified employee, part-time or seasonal employee.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITION
- Work is generally outside work, performed in all types of weather conditions.
- Incumbent is often exposed to hazardous equipment and conditions.
- Incumbent is often required to serve “on call” duty and respond to call-outs for unforeseen events within the City affecting water supply and delivery and is required to work long or unusual hours and overtime when needed.
- Work is performed outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Work involves heavy lifting and operation of equipment.
- Some work may be required in confined spaces on varying surfaces that may be hazardous.
- The incumbent is subject to dust, dirt, offensive odors, water, vibrations, loud noises, etc.
- Operators may be exposed to injury from moving equipment, insect bites, poisonous plants, flying objects, and hazardous materials.
Applications are available to download here or pick up at the City of Nichols Hills Public Works Department, located at 1009 NW 75th Street, Nichols Hills, Oklahoma 73116.