Holiday Fire Safety Tips

HOLIDAY TREE SAFETY TIPS

 

According to the United States Fire Administration every year fires during the holiday season injure 2600 people and cause over $930 million in damage. 

  

Selecting a Tree for the Season

      Artificial or metallic trees need to be flame retardant

      Real trees

      The needles need to be green and hard to pull back from the branches.

      The trunk should be sticky to the touch.

      A fresh tree should not lose very many, if any, needles. You can test this by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground and looking to see if any needles fell off.

      If the needles break and/or fall off easy, the tree is probably dried out or has been cut too long. This condition makes the tree a FIRE HAZARD.

 

Caring for the Tree

      Never place your tree near a heat source. This will dry the tree out quicker making it more prone to ignition.

      Never smoke near a tree.

      Dont leave your tree up too long. Its recommended to not leave your real tree up for more than two weeks.

 

Disposing of the Tree

      NEVER burn any part of your tree in a fireplace or woodburning stove.

      Dispose of your tree promptly when youre done using it or its dried out.

      The best way to dispose of a real tree is to recycle it or have it hauled away by your local pick-up service.

 

HOLIDAY LIGHTS SAFETY TIPS

 

Maintain Your Holiday Lights

      Inspect your lights every year for broken bulbs and wire problems.

      Use only UL listed lights

      Use lights in the correct place. (Indoor lights indoors, Outdoor lights outdoors)

  

Do Not Overload Electrical Outlet

      Follow the instructions provided with your lights. (number of strands that can be connected together, how to use with an extension cord, etc.)

      Periodically check the light strands and extension cords. They should not be warm to the touch.

      Do Not Leave Holiday Lights on Unattended

 

Use Only Nonflammable Decorations

      Decorations should be nonflammable or flame retardant and should be placed away from heat sources.

 

Never Put Wrapping Paper in a Fireplace

      The paper can throw off sparks and produce a chemical buildup in the home that could cause an explosion.

 

CANDLE SAFETY TIPS

 

Candles Can Be Dangerous

      Make sure that candles are in stable holders and in a place where they cannot be easily knocked over.

      NEVER leave the house with candles lit.

 

Never Put Lit Candles on a Tree

      Dont ever go near a holiday tree with any open flames

 

 

In addition to these holiday safety tips be sure to:

      Check all smoke detectors installed in your home and perform TLC on them.

 

Test

Life of the battery

Clean

 

*Know your emergency phone numbers.

 

*Know and practice your escape plan. (E.D.I.T.H. Exit Drills In The Home)

 

 

HAVE A HAPPY AND FIRE SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks to the USFA for information in this PSM



*

City of Nichols Hills, Oklahoma - © 2017 - All Rights Reserved | Site by Project A