August is Back to School month!
The Nichols Hills Fire Department wants to remind everyone that August is back to school time for many of the area children. This time of the year is a busy one for both parents and children alike, so please be careful around areas where children may be present.
Following are some safety tips to help keep you and your children safe:
- Always obey school zones.
- Review emergency numbers with your child as well as their own number and address.
- Talk to your children about ‘stranger danger’, and let them know that it’s alright to say “NO”.
- Avoid putting your child’s name on their belongings where it might be readily visible to other people.
- Come up with a password that must be used if someone else is picking up your child.
- Communicate with your child and be observant to their behavior. Unusual behavior may indicate problems at school.
- Talk to your children about following the rules for the bus. Every year there are many injuries on or around a bus.
- If your child walks or rides their bike to school be sure to plan and review their route with them paying special attention to the surroundings and safety hazards.
- Always wear your seat belt and follow the driving laws.
For more safety tips and information please visit the following websites:
The National Safety Council –http://www.nsc.org/mem/youth/8_school.htm
Safety tips from CBS News - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/23/earlyshow/living/parenting/main519691.shtml
PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE