Police Offer Holiday Season Tips
The busy holiday season is usually the busiest time for burglars and thieves and this is particularly true when there has been a down-turn in the economy. You can help protect your family, home and vehicles, by just remembering to take a few precautions.
- Do not leave expensive gifts under the tree if you are not at home.
- Lock your doors and always turn on the alarm system.
- Hide jewelry and cash inside your home. Don't leave it on the dresser.
- Don't let strangers into your home, particularly if you are alone.
- Report any suspicious activity. If it is suspicious to you call the police.
- Let the police know if you are leaving town for the holidays.
- Always lock your vehicles and never leave valuables inside, including the key. Remember, if they have your car keys they probably have your house keys.
- If you plan to go shopping, take only the credit cards or cash that you will need and if you carry a purse, have a shoulder strap and don't leave the purse unattended ever.
- Be alert when you return to your car. If you think you are being followed drive to the Nichols Hills Police Department.
- It is best not to shop alone if possible and park in a well lighted area.
- Purses or other valuables placed in the trunk of a car can be accessed by breaking into the passenger compartment. Most trunk switches are in the glove box so always lock it.
Have a safe and happy holiday season !
Richard Mask, Chief of Police
Nichols Hills Police Department